Saturday 16 May 2009

Group crits

The group crits were the other day, and to be honest I felt annoyed that I only had one new shoot to show, and even worse that it wasn't very good.
However after laying my prints down on the table and discussing them I got some useful feedback. I was told that my location wasn't very good, and in fact the bricks were quite distracting and irrelevant. It became clear in the discussion that my ultimate goal was to capture a look of discomfort with my models, something which could be seen in my portraits, but was not strong enough. I feel that now I have finally settled on something I want to achieve, and my idea is solid I can start working on how I am going explore it, and how I will proceed technically.
The one main suggestion was that I really focus on making my models wait, make them stand there unknowing of what is going on, and really make them feel uncomfortable. An idea was suggested to make them stand alone on a street corner, while I photograph with a zoom lens from far away. This ultimately would make them feel like a bit of a twat, and I could get some interesting reactions.
All in all, the crit was good.

No comments:

Post a Comment