Monday 18 May 2009

Rosemary Laing

I managed to come across photographer Rosemary Laing and her series 'a dozen useless actions for grieving blondes'. The photographs are some of the best work I have seen for a long time and really show examples of raw emotion in extreme ways.



The series itself shows women in various states of sorrow and grieving, which Laing has captured to great effect. Just looking at them makes me feel uncomfortable and I can almost feel the woman's pain and frustration at something which is unkown to me.



The composition of these images is great, and the framing is really tight so that you are almost trapped within the photograph. I like that we are able to see the whole head and the tops of the shoulders, as I feel that the body language here is a strong signifier of how the woman is feeling. The background is very unusual, but at the same time it compliments what is going on in the photograph as it helps to give it a rush and only heightens the drama within the frame.



In particular I really like the image above as for me it conveys the most emotion and is shot as the precise time.
Thinking about it, Laing probably shot lots of images and had to edit down to these few; the ones that conveyed the most intense emotion. When I am editing, I will have to do the same, and choose to show only the images that convey the strongest sense of discomfort and angst in my model.



The busy background and use of showing the body language here works very well, and is something I certainly need to play around with when I am shooting.

No comments:

Post a Comment